Let’s talk about Greek yogurt. I purchased two 16 oz jars of plain Greek yogurt from Fiddle Creek Dairy which is located in Quarryville which is in Lancaster County. It is a family owned 50 acre dairy farm and creamery. The Greek yogurt is minimally processed and contains only pasteurized milk and live, active cultures. The yogurt is thick and creamy and has a taste that does not compare to store bought Greek yogurt.
Cream Cheese and Pear Tart published on Penn State’s Local Food Journey blog is where I found the inspiration for the pear tart I made.
To prepare the Greek yogurt for this tart, take a bowl and place a strainer on top. Line the strainer with a coffee filter and spoon in a generous cup of the yogurt. Top with another strainer and place in the refrigerator overnight. This helps strain excess moisture from the yogurt and thickens it up close to a softened cream cheese consistency. This also helps prevent the tart crust from becoming soggy.
Local ingredients: The walnuts and honey are from Strites’. The flour is from Daisy Flours. The coconut oil is from Kauffman’s Fruit Farm and produced by Golden Barrel. The maple syrups is also from Kauffman’s. The Winter Chai spice is from Calicutts. The yogurt, as mentioned above, is from Fiddle Creek Dairy.
I hope you enjoy this pear tart and have a happy new year!
Greek Yogurt Pear Tart
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅔ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Winter Chai spice (or cinnamon) Filling:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (see above)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 pears, sliced
- 1 tsp Winter Chai spice (or cinnamon)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a pie dish.
- In a bowl, mix the coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Mix in the walnuts, spice, and the flour. Stir well. Press into the pie dish and bake 15 minutes until the edges are golden. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt and maple syrup. When the pie crust is cool, spread the yogurt mixture on top. Layer on the pear slices.
- Mix the honey and spice together. Drizzle on top of the tart. Serve immediately.