This recipe for Apple Sausage Breakfast Casserole uses almost 100% local ingredients. The apple sausage is from Anschuetz Farm and made with pork and apples. It smells so good when it is cooking. I should have bought more. The eggs, cheese, milk, and half and half come from my favorite creamery, Apple Valley. The apples are from Strites’ Orchard, of course. Finally, the bread is from McGrath’s Bakehouse. All of their bread is cooked in a brick oven. The breads are both beautiful and delicious. Visit them here.
I know this recipe will have you wondering if there is even enough room in your baking dish. It is a filling and satisfying dish that can be prepared ahead since it is a bit time consuming. Prepare it the night before, cover it with aluminum foil and leave it in the refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature before baking it in the morning. I adapted my recipe from this recipe by Jessie at A Hint of Honey.
I wanted to use cheddar cheese in this recipe, but all I had was Swiss. It will work with both types of cheese. When I asked my dad if it needed anything, he replied, “Ate,” which I think is as good a review as any.
Apple Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb apple sausage, cut in 1-2” pieces
- 2 large apples, diced
- 5 eggs, whisked
- ½ loaf of McGrath’s Original, or other crusty bread, cubed
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, grated (or cheddar)
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Toast the bread cubes for 10-15 minutes. While toasting, grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil and add the sausage. Cook thoroughly, crumble the sausage, and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, half and half, salt and pepper.
- In the casserole dish, layer half the sausage mixture, apples, cheese, and bread cubes. Repeat. Pour the milk and egg mixture on top. Top with more shredded cheese. Bake for 60 minutes.